Bicycling Surges in Popularity
The recent bicycling craze has cyclers taking to city streets on two wheels. Learn how Four Seasons is catering to your cycling needs at hotels and resorts around the world.
A city just looks different when you’re astride a bicycle. You can pedal down bustling avenues and hidden byways, mingle with the locals and join the throng of commuters. As you skim through the streets, you get a different view of things entirely.
Bicycling is a trend gaining some traction as cyclers everywhere rediscover the blissful joys of travelling the world at a slower pace.
This renewed love affair with the bicycle is taking hold in cities around the globe, from Dublin and Paris to Rome and Shanghai. These cities are joining the bicycling trend through wildly popular bicycle sharing programmes, following the example of cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen, who have had similar programmes for years. And now, tourists are discovering the delights of cycling alongside the locals. For example, Dublinbikes has established 40 stations around the city where commuters or biking enthusiasts may pick up a bike and hit the Dublin streets for an up-close-and-personal look at the city, from its Georgian doors to Grafton Street to Dublin Castle. Visitors to the city can buy a three-day membership for its programme for 2 euros at one of the city’s 14 credit card-enabled Dublinbikes stations.
Once you have your two-wheeled conveyance, you’re ready to map out your journey. If you enjoy a little two-wheeled camaraderie, the social networking web site Map My Fitness allows you to try out city biking routes that others have enjoyed and include your own recommendations. (You can even log your fitness progress and join in virtual races with your friends.)
Two Wheels at Four Seasons
Nothing could be easier than letting your Concierge assist you with your cycling needs. From help with hiring a bicycle to personalised tours to a five-star picnic hamper, the staff is ready to send you on your adventure well provisioned.
- In bike-friendly Budapest, Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace Budapest helps with bike and gear hire and provides daily group or private tours March 15 through November 15. If you want to make a day of it, the Hotel can also prepare a picnic lunch, from a simple one you carry yourself to an elaborate feast complete with someone to spread the blanket and uncork the Champagne—easily arranged through room service or your Concierge.
- Four Seasons Hotel Dublin can rent a bicycle for you or assist you in tapping into the Dublinbikes programme. And when you’re ready to hit the streets, the Concierge can direct you to the best cycling routes and the loveliest parks for your noontime repast.
- At Four Seasons Resort Lana’i, The Lodge at Koele, you can rent a Giant road bike onsite and head off into the gentle hills surrounding the Hotel, on your own or with a staff member to guide you on an unforgettable journey.
- The busy pace of the Big Apple was made to be experienced. Four Seasons Hotel New York can rent your bicycle for you and send you off with a sumptuous picnic for your day of exploring the streets of old New York.
- Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara has a unique offer for cycling enthusiasts. The Hotel provides complimentary beach cruiser bicycles for guests—in adult or children’s sizes—and sends you off to explore the scenic three-mile bike-only path from Butterfly Beach along the coast to downtown State Street. Or, for a more rigorous ride, you can explore nearby biking trails in the Santa Ynez Mountains.
- You’re set when you rent a bike from Arizona Outback Adventures, complete with helmet, and take off on one of their adventure rides being offered in conjunction with Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North. Enjoy an exciting multi-sport day with the Pedal Paddle Adventure or fly down a hill on a performance mountain bike with the Downhill Dash. Add a bit of luxury to your rough-and-tumble day with a customised picnic lunch, suited just for your adventurous tastes.