Houston—Top 10 Family Summer Must-Do’s
Houston is a home run for family summer getaways—from baseball excitement to breathtaking adventure. Discover all the ways to make it unforgettable.
1. Discover a Greener Houston—See. Touch. Hear. Taste. Explore! All at Discovery Green. This 12-acre green space hosts the Kinder Lake with a model boat basin, a playground that has been carved into a tree-shaded hill, interactive fountains to cool off in, areas to take your pooch for a run, The Lake House or The Grove for a bite to eat, and an outdoor stage that offers complimentary performances. Special events are abundant at this lively park located across the street from the Hotel.
2. Explore Underwater—Downtown Aquarium is the product of redeveloping two downtown landmarks: Fire Station No. 1 and the Central Waterworks Building. It’s part attraction, part restaurant, with an abundance of entertainment—a Ferris wheel, Shark Voyage, Observation Tower, midway games and more!
3. Monkey Around—From humble beginnings in the early 1900s, Houston’s first zoo has grown to be one of the most-visited zoos in the nation. Over 6,000 animals are housed on 55 acres of lush zoological gardens. On your visit, see the feeding of giraffes and fruit bats, or place an order for a painting created by an orangutan, jaguar, parrot, lion or elephant!
4. Go-Team-Go—Houston Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Dynamos, oh my! Join Houston’s loyal fans and watch a game within minutes of the Hotel. Options range from basketball, baseball, hockey or two-time soccer champions Houston Dynamos. No game scheduled while you’re here? Tour Minute Maid Park or Toyota Center and find out what happens behind the scenes.
5. Bowling Night—Lucky Strike is not your ordinary bowling alley; it’s a bowling lounge with contemporary décor, cool artwork adorning the walls, DJs spinning music, billiards and 10 giant TV screens. They serve popular American cuisine with a twist, such as Mac & Cheese Bites, Grilled Cheese Sliders, beef or chicken skewers, and pizza.
6. Movie Night—Sundance Cinemas show independent films as well as a selection of Hollywood features. This upscale, reserved-seating movie theatre serves not just popcorn and hot dogs but an array of speciality snacks, treats, coffees and adult beverages.
7. In the City—Take a shuttle bus or a private luxury sedan, walk Houston’s extensive tunnel system or Segway around to see the fourth-largest city in America. For a different perspective, wander beneath the city, then pop back up to street level with “Tunnel Lady” Sandra Lord of Discover Houston Tours. Looking for an adventure? Segway; it’s easier than it looks! Zip though the Theatre District and along the Buffalo Bayou for an exhilarating experience with Segway Tours of Houston. Private and custom tours with Houston’s top tour guides are also available.
8. A Playground for the Mind!—Rated as one of the best children’s museums in the country, the Children’s Museum of Houston encourages children to touch, learn and discover. There are exhibits on science and technology, math, engineering, health and culture. Most appropriate for children ages birth to 12 years.
9. Hermann Park—Located in the heart of the museum district is one of Houston’s oldest parks. Ride the miniature train that criss-crosses the park, feed the ducks and fish in the pond, romp on the playground and go paddle-boating. Or enjoy a leisurely stroll through the Japanese Garden and stop to smell the flowers in the Garden Center.
10. Inner Body Experience—Interactivity begins in the Amazing Body Pavilion at The Health Museum. Designed as a voyage through a Texas-size human body, the pavilion includes giant models of human organs and dozens of hands-on exhibits and science stations. Visitors of all ages may explore how each system of the body works.
Take the family to Houston for the weekend and enjoy special savings on a second room, an adventure tent, ice cream by the pool daily, plus much more with our Family Adventure package.
Or, read about more summer fun in Texas.