6 Things to Do With Kids in Baltimore
The youngest sports fans, science fans, art aficionados and marine biologists in training can enjoy this harbour city as much as their parents.
Baltimore is home to great food, a lively sports and arts scene, and now Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore, which just opened its doors. The city itself is one of neighbourhoods, such as the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Fell’s Point and Little Italy. There’s something for everyone no matter where you are or what time of year you visit. If you’re travelling with children, we offer the following recommendations:
1. The National Aquarium, Baltimore is home to 16,500 specimens and more than 660 species. It’s also within walking distance of the Hotel. The real crowd-pleaser is the live feeding show with stingrays and sharks. Yes, sharks!
2. Explore the Inner Harbor and its surrounding neighbourhoods. Besides the National Aquarium, you’ll also find Harborplace & The Gallery, Oriole Park at Camden Yards (where Major League Baseball’s Orioles play), M&T Bank Stadium (where the National Football League’s Ravens play), and Fort McHenry (where the U.S. national anthem was born).
3. See a game. And if you can’t catch an Orioles or Ravens game, consider IndyCar racing, lacrosse, thoroughbred racing or basketball.
4. Enjoy the art. Explore the galleries and studios of the Highlandtown Arts & Entertainment District (referred to by locals simply as “Ha!”). Kids can also enjoy the ultimate pop culture experience at Baltimore’s Geppi’s Entertainment Museum, a short trip from the Inner Harbor. Or see the new ALL THINGS ROUND: Galaxies, Eyeballs & Karma exhibit at the American Visionary Art Museum that explores all the spirals, orbs, curves and bubbles you can think of.
5. Play and learn. The Port Discovery Children’s Museum has three floors of interactive exhibitions and programmes for children up to 10 years old. The Maryland Science Center also has three floors of exhibits, as well as a planetarium and an observatory.
6. Be a pirate for a day. What kid wouldn’t love a one-hour tour of the Inner Harbor with Urban Pirates? Children dress up in pirate gear, learn the ways of piracy and help patrol the waters with the rest of the crew? Warning: There might even be an (ahem) “attack” on the ship, so some manning of the “cannons” is required.
Read the complete list of fun for children in Baltimore at the Four Seasons Have Family Will Travel blog.